4.3.08

Even More on Happiness

This email has sparked an interest to read this book... sounds 'heart-hitting'.

Dear Amanda,

For centuries, great philosophers, thinkers, and scholars have contemplated the source of our happiness. Notable teachers and famous spokesmen have also offered their opinions. Yet, I feel a person who truly understood the meaning of happiness was Marty, a man who ran a cash register.

In this excerpt from The Richest Man in Town, a true story about Aaron “Marty” Martinson, we join a conversation between author V. J. Smith and Marty. In all of their simplicity, Marty’s thoughts on happiness could rival those of the most famous thinkers. Sometimes, the simplest ideas touch us the most.To Your Success,Eric Harvey Founder and President,
WalkTheTalk.com

The Richest Man in Town: Inspired by Marty, a Simple Man Who Ran a Cash Register
By V. J. Smith
Excerpted from The Richest Man in Town:
Chapter Titled The Source of Happiness:


At times Marty made it sound too easy. On a visit to his home I heard him say, “People need to decide to be happy.”

I pressed him. “What do you mean by that?”

His face took on an incredulous look. “You have to ask me?”

At that moment I felt a little foolish. Complex human problems, at least to me, often prevent people from being happy. To Marty it was a matter of common sense. I wondered, what was I missing?

“C’mon, Marty,” I said, “do you really think people can actually decide to be happy?”

“Who makes decisions for you?” Marty asked me. “All my life I’ve watched people waiting for someone else to make them happy. The way I got it figured, the only one who can make you happy is you.”

As I considered his point, my mind began to wander. Strangely, I thought of an old “Peanuts” cartoon–the one in which Lucy asked Charlie Brown, “Why do you think we were put on earth?”

Charlie Brown answered, “To make others happy.”

“I don’t think I’m making anyone happy,” Lucy replied, “but nobody’s making me very happy either.” Then Lucy screamed out, “Somebody’s not doing his job!”

I smiled at that moment, thinking Marty had something in common with Charles Schultz, the creator of the “Peanuts” cartoon. Both seemed to be saying that it was silly to expect other people to have such an influence over our lives.

That was Marty’s lesson: Only you can make you happy.

About The Richest Man in Town By V. J. Smith... The Richest Man in Town is a true story that captures the important things in life in an unforgettable way. It is beautifully written and will make you laugh, make you cry, but most importantly, will make you reflect on what life is about.

No comments:

Gaping Void Goodness