24.11.07

A Mighty Heart

The Brave Life and Death of My Husband, Danny Pearl

by Mariane Pearl

This book needs no "from the cover". Cast your mind back to 2002 and recall the kidnapped journalist whose death was broadcast over the internet. This is his story. Incredible

I had two flags from this very powerful book...

pg 59 War held no appeal for Danny or for me. What interested us was the challenge presented by peace. People often see peace as the simple absence of war, but it is instead the result of courageous actions taken to initiate a dialogue between civilizations. Both Danny and I saw our profession as a way to contribute to the dialogue, to allow voices on all sides to be heard, and to bear witness.

pg 272 ... the words of a poem by Diane Ackerman called "School Prayer" - words I have tried, and keep trying, to embody with my whole life:

"I swear I will not dishonour
my soul with hatred,
but offer myself humbly
as a guardian of nature,
as a healer of misery,
as a messenger of wonder,
as an architect of peace ."

No comments:

Gaping Void Goodness